Observations of Hong Kong bookstores
* Female browsers always outnumber male.
* Bookstores are well-lit and have fancy decor. Eslite in Causeway Bay resembles a museum. (Picture above)
* Much more than selling books. Think organic soaps. Incenses. Tea leaves.
* Given the high rents bookstores have to sell more than just books to break even.
* Books are saran-wrapped to discourage prolonged browsing.
* Weight-loss books always top the bestseller list.
* Big on movie tie-in fiction.
* Banned books in China mostly likely in stock.
* UK editions are very popular.
* Scanty seats.
* Fiction usually divided into literature, classics, and general. Sometimes confusing with overlap.
* The latest sub-category is Women’s Fiction. All the shades of greys can be found in this section.
* Bookstores can be as noisy as subway stations.