• Current Reads

      Life after Life Jill McCorkle
      This Is Your Captain Speaking Jon Methven
      The Starboard Sea Amber Dermont
      Snark David Denby
      Bring Up the Bodies Hilary Mantel
  • Popular Tags

  • Recent Reflections

  • Categories

  • Moleskine’s All-Time Favorites

  • Echoes

    Adamos on The Master and Margarita:…
    sumithra MAE on D.H. Lawrence’s Why the…
    To Kill a Mockingbir… on [35] To Kill A Mockingbird…
    Deanna Friel on [841] The Price of Salt (Carol…
    Minnie on [367] The Rouge of the North 怨…
    travellinpenguin on [841] The Price of Salt (Carol…
  • Reminiscences

  • Blog Stats

    • 1,058,526 hits
  • Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 1,718 other followers

  • Advertisements

Reviews

btt  button

Do you read book reviews? Whose do you trust? Do they affect your reading habits? Your buying habits?

I read book reviews by a group of book bloggers who share common reading taste. They alone influence what I buy. I also peruse the New York Times book reviews as well as the staff recommendations of local independent bookstores. They are usually good indications of whether I should buy or to check out from the library. Over the years, as voices of bloggers become more important, I have relied on book bloggers more for reviews. Some bloggers’ opinions are accorded with more importance. That said, I enjoy reading my own reviews and journal entries. I always believe there’s room for improvement in my own reviews, which has shifted from summarizing to critical thinking. I hope my readers find the reviews enlightening.

Advertisements

7 Responses

  1. I told several people at BEA – 95% of what I read comes from other bloggers. Often, I’m not even familiar with a title until someone mentions it on a blog. I don’t really “trust” print reviews like I do bloggers. The other 5% come from family and friends, all of whom are (luckily) readers.

  2. I like to see what other readers think about a book as it sometimes showsit up in another perspective totally different to the way you looked at it.

  3. I love this answer. It’s almost 100% an echo of my own position.

  4. This is such an interesting question and one whose answer is changing very much for me. Right now, I rely on book bloggers for recommendations about books that aren’t the obvious ones (by that, I mean the books that are all over the media, on the cover of the NYT, etc.). I love finding out about books I’ve missed, maybe because they’ve just come back in print, or I never read the first time around. It’s such a great discovery and I very much rely on the opinion of the discoverer when deciding whether I want to read something. I also rely quite a bit on a non-review source, which is that thing on amazon that tells you “if you liked this” you’ll like “that.” I use that to find young adult fiction for my sons, because I don’t know much about that kind of work and also because my tastes are so different from theirs.

  5. Yes I read reviews and often mark a book to read or buy a book from a review. I am always trying to make my reviews better too.

  6. I always find your book reviews enlightening. Your insight into what you’ve read is always so welcome and makes me want to be come more insightful and thoughtful in my own reading.

  7. I love reading reviews, and book review blogs are a fantastic way to be introduced to something new. Before I buy, I almost always peruse the reviews on Amazon and Goodreads as well. They don’t hold as much weight, but it’s a nice way to get a general feeling before buying.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: